Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You're Welcome... If You're Legal

While looking for articles to write this blog about, I came over a number of articles about a Dallas suburb called Irving. In this town, citizens are trying to control the number of illegal immigrants. I completely agree with these people. Honestly, I do not see why LEGAL immigrants, or even US born Hispanics are upset about the US not wanting illegal immigrants. If illegal immigrants were not here, maybe police and even employers would stop profiling Hispanics.
Some Hispanics think that 'Whites' don't like illegal immigrants just because they are Hispanic. I'm sorry, but the 20th century is gone. The reason AMERICANS don't like illegal immigrants is because they are ILLEGAL! Join the country legally and you are more than welcome to be my neighbor.
In an article titled, "Passionate Protestors on Both Sides of Immigration Debate Turn Out in Irving," it states what happened on October 13, 2007, when protesters and supporters of the Criminal Alien Program marched to the steps of City Hall. The Criminal Alien Program allows police officers to turn suspected illegal immigrants over to federal authorities.
The quote that stuck out the most to me was said by Julio Arellano. He said, "Back then, black people were being arrested all the time. Black people weren't allowed to drink from water fountains. I feel that's what's happening now." I do not agree with his statement. Yes, in the past, African Americans were not allowed to drink out of the same water fountain as Whites, but no one is doing that to Hispanics or illegal immigrants. The only thing we want is for the illegals to go home.
Although I do not agree that illegal immigrants should be here, I do not agree with what one supporter of the CAP said. "Our government has not kept to its oath to protect us from invasion," said the group's president, Jean Towell. I do not believe that it is an 'invasion.' I do think that something does need to be done though.
Something needs to be done, but when will any two races agree on the same thing?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/irving/stories/DN-irvrally_14met.ART0.West.Edition1.424c12f.html

1 comment:

JacquelineMarie said...

As a recent convert to the "Texan" way of life, I have heard enough immigration talk to last me a lifetime. Part of my indoctrination into the Texas way of life has included spending too much time in my car, which in my world has equated to a near fatal overdose of KUT. And let's just say...immigration is a sizzling hot topic, and while I respect your bottom line in all of this, I wonder if you've heard all sides of this debate...

I get the "go home" point of view, the "just cause" it's illegal premise. However, my understanding of this issue is that it is actually much more complex than meets the eye. If we can send a man to the moon, believe me, our government would not have much of a problem monitoring illegal immigration if it were really a priority.

The truth is, according to many economic analysts, illegal immigrants serve a vital role in keeping our economy vibrant. Particularly in Texas, illegal immigrants have been a mainstay of small business "success," particularly in the service industry. I've heard testimonial after testimonial coming from these business owners, and the resounding theme seems to be that there is a serious shortage of "American" workers who are willing to wash dishes for $5/hr, and those that business owners are able to recruit have high turnover rates and an overall poor work ethic. The kinds of jobs that illegal immigrants are "taking away from us" are the jobs that we simply don't want. While I actually take issue with the cycle of poverty and often exploitation that this situation breeds, I just have a hard time figuring out where people have gotten the idea that illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs and destroying our economy; it simply isn't the case. If it were, I'm pretty sure Republicans wouldn't be advocating for "paths to citizenship."

Another point that I found to be a little off was the stark rejection of the notion that Hispanics are being objectified. An important thing to keep in mind; just because you haven't experienced it first hand, doesn't mean that it isn't going on. And while the water fountain reference may have been slightly hyperbolous, the point was very much legitimate, and Hispanics are absolutely experiencing discrimination, and even exploitation in disturbing numbers, on U.S. soil.

There's a lot to be said about illegal immigration, and much to be remedied from the standing of our current policy. What I worry about the most is a citizenry that blindly defends its "right-doing;" a position that is all too reminiscent of a mentality that can be traced back to the civil rights era, hyperbole aside.